Saturday, September 24, 2005

I miss you already!

I'm blogging after some 3 weeks I think. Been fairly occupied with all sorts of things in this time and then ofcourse there was the lack of constant and free net access later. So I was on campus for about a week, met people, watched movies, and left wondering (not for the first time) how swiftly days go by in that place. Was still more amazed at how familiar everything was and yet not the same. It wasn't home anymore, not the way it had been for the last 4 years. Each time I entered the corridoor of my ex-wing I tried to recapture that old feeling of homecoming, in vain. I was well aware all the time that this was my last visit of some length to the place in a long while. Bye Bye IITB.

I came across the term 'graphomania' which means a mania for writing books in 'The book of laughter and forgetting' by Milan Kundera. According to the author - "Graphomania is
not a desire to write letters, personal diaries, or family chronicles,.. but a desire to write books (to have a public of unknown readers)...
Graphomania inevitably takes on epidemic proportions when a society develops to the point of creating three basic conditions -
(1) an elevated level of general well-being which allows people to devote themselves to useless activities;
(2) a high degree of social automization and, as a consequence, a general isolation of individuals;
(3) the absence of dramatic social changes in the nation's social life."

What I was wondering about is - Is blogging a form of graphomania?

Was talking to a friend the other day, who recently visited Kota after some 4 years, and she was saying how the place has hardly changed in all this time. Inspite of consciously trying she was able to spot only one change, a new flyover, which after an unusually short flyover gestation period of 3 years, is now complete and open to traffic. I had one more change to add to the list- there are no crocodiles in Chambal Garden anymore. They had to be released into the river because the shallow, murky water of the croc pond was bad for them. Good for the crocs, sad for Chambal Garden.

6 comments:

kray said...

I guess blogging happens only when you have a lot of time to yourself.

Akshi said...

Yes!! But until then I guess I'll just have to cry myself to sleep every night! Sigh!
Give up!
Btw why does your profile show a link which doesn't work? Put something there.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i guess you blog when really jobless. I thought lots of times of doing so when I was home and when sem had just begin, but now it is back to looking forward to time for yourself and some reading :). A lot of books wait for me back home, so maybe I shall go back to them.

Supriya.

Anonymous said...

aah now i see that it is IST. Now the timings make a lot more sense:D

supriya.

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah pseud american u've become already. Indian timings don't make sense and all :D. Nevermind. My comp is fixed now so I shall have better net access. Will mail.

kray said...

:)) like you won't become pseud American yourself, in a month!