Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Somethings I know ... and some I don't

I like New York. Its big. Its crowded. You can find people walking on the streets late in the night. It has public transport.
I was hanging around with friends from college and it felt so much like being back in Bombay again. Strangely though I enjoyed getting lost on the subway and walking around times square with people in crazy hats, shopping off roadsides and people watching a lot more than all the big NY attractions we checked out. That was fun too. But more than anything I was soaking in how alive the city felt.

Sometime back I told a friend that I have become fairly uncompetitive lately in life and that worries me a little. Not that I don't care about doing things well or that I don't enjoy it when I do better or much better than average but I really couldn't be bothered to take it to a personal level. And all this coupled with all the 'I don't know what my long-term goals are's, 'I don't know where I want to be five years from now's, can scare you at times. But then clever people have said that some of the best of us never find out what they want out of life.

The last book I read was 'A feast for crows' by GRRM. It took me a lot longer than the other three books in the series to finish. That was partly because I was spending less time than usual reading and partly because the book simply crawls for the greatest part. The climax however makes up for almost everything and its all the more bugging that I'll have to wait for not one but two books to find out what happens next.

I have quite a bit of work at work now and I'm quite enjoying it. I hope that lasts. Good to end the first post of the new year on a positive note.

2 comments:

kray said...

>>But then clever people have said that some of the best of us never find out what they want out of life.<<

I heartily believe this too :P. What's the point of taking a ton of pain in figuring out what you want in life in the next 10 yrs and finding all of that knocked on the head by something wonderful (or horrible) happening tomorrow?

kray said...

@ clt: alive and well i hope :D and still in touch :)