Saturday, November 26, 2005

Taggicted

So as Priyanka suggested, I've decided to create a book tag, which very likely will run through three people. Since I'm the creator and also the first responder, I intend to create this tag with fewer questions and do away with strong adjectives like most, favorite, best, adore, hate, since they will making deciding between books so much more difficult.


Two books you like (and preferably also state why)

1. A Suitable Boy.
Its a huge huge book and I did find it to drag in places, but I think I managed to read it in pretty good time. Its the first Vikram Seth I read and I enjoyed the way he seems to like all his characters. I also liked the unembarassed Indian-ness of the book.

2. Pride and prejudice.
I can imagine people going 'Bleh' on reading his. I've read and re-read this book quite a few times. I don't like Mister Darcy, I think Elizabeth Bennet is not so smart either, the other characters are nuts, but I still like the book. Must be the same reason I watch all romantic comedies although I never fail to find them dumb and trite later.


Two books you've read which you think are unusual for some reason.

1. The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth, because its all in verse and yet it doesn't get tiresome.

2. Angela's Ashes, because nothing nice ever happens to Frank McCourt and yet the book is strangely not depressing.


Two authors you like

1. Vikram Seth.
I've read three books by him so far and I've liked them all.

2. George R R Martin.
I'm quite sold on his Song of Fire and Ice series. He creates elaborate characters and kills them off in a jiffy. I was wondering in the middle of the first book if there'll be any characters left for the series to continue. Lots more have died since.


Two books you don't like so much

1. Bourne Identity.
I honestly tried. I couldn't read it.

2. Pollyanna.
I usually like all these feel-good books like Heidi, Anne of green gables etc., but Pollyanna was a little too much sweetness.


Two books you own and are fond of

1. The Secret Garden.
Its one of my childhood favorites. I got it as a birthday present. Its tattered and moth-eaten now, but I still treasure it (I don't take good care of it though, apparently).

2. Great Expectations.
It was a prize I won in school. I found it tiresome to read at first, but have read it multiple times since.


Two books you'd like to buy

1. Two Lives
The new autobiographical book by Vikram Seth. Its only available in hardcover right now and costs quite a bit.

2. The complete Calvin and Hobbes set.
Costs a whole lot again, and I'm not patient enough to collect them one by one (Actually each one costs quite a bit as well).


So I'll pass on the tag to Histrionix and Kray, and that completes my 3 people set.

7 comments:

kray said...

Ha! It took me ages!!! Why did you have to have reasons?!!

Nice post tho. Btw, haven't read P&P but isn't her name Bennet?

Akshi said...

Its more fun with reasons. I'm assuming the purpose of tags is to get to know more abt the person, just names don't help so much there.

Haan, her name is Bennet, made a spelling mistake there. Corrected it now.

Anonymous said...

That made for nice reading. :)

Anonymous said...

That made for nice reading. :)
-Srinath

Akshi said...

Oh this is where you (Srinath) commented :P. Thanks. Kray tagged you, are you planning to reply?

Golu said...

I liked Bourne Identity!!! I cudn't get myself to complete Bourne Supremacy but then I did finish Bourne Ultimatum :)

Akshi said...

Hehe maybe guys like these popcorn thriller books just like women seem to like popcorn romances. I have no idea why I'm responding to your comment with so much lag. Just didn't get round to it earlier :P