Monday, November 14, 2005

Touchy, aren't we.

So for a while because of various reasons, I've been pondering over a question - How much sarcasm is humorous, and when does it start getting caustic and simply cruel. I guess it varies from person to person. Some people, its said, have a lower tolerance for sarcastic humor than others. It also depends on who's being sarcastic, if you are expecting somebody to be nice to you, sarcasm coming from them cuts a lot deeper. I tend to be fairly sarcastic myself, I do try to stay on the nice side of sarcastic humor though, especially if its addressed directly to somebody. However, the person concerned may not always think so kindly of the humor, when the joke is on them. In such situations I end up feeling quite guilty eventually. I'm not all that comfortable with excessive sarcasm myself, if it is directed towards me. Double standards?

Histrionix was talking about wish-lists, and I commented on that saying that I can't come up with one for myself. Here's an update - I have a number one wish right now. I want to be able to drive well, and soon. Its such a necessity here! I had been informed that it'll be like this, but I wish the point had been driven home with a lot more stress. I might even have re-considered my job choice.

Coming back to sarcastic humor, I just spent a whole weekend teasing some friends about their new relationships. It was a whole lot of fun, but I hope they still love me.
Before I started typing this blog, I googled for poems on sarcasm, these two seem to fit the theme :D


Caught in the Undertow

Colin, worshipping some frail,
By self-deception sways her:
Calls himself unworthy male,
Hardly even fit to praise her.

But this tactic insincere
In the upshot greatly grieves him
When he finds the lovely dear
Quite implicitly believes him.

-- Christopher Morley


Unfortunate Coincidence

By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying -
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.

-- Dorothy Parker

12 comments:

kray said...

Hmm.. deep!! And hadn't I told you long back that you should learn to drive properly?!!

Akshi said...

Nahin wasn't feeling guilty. More like wondering if I should have been feeling guilty :P.

And Kray, yes lots of people told me that I should learn driving, but it seem it wasn't enough!

Anonymous said...

teasing ppl eh? wait wait your turn shall come shortly:D

kray said...

Heheheheh, thou hast been tagged!!! Check my blog for clarification.
And wat's this about your turn coming shortly?!!!! I am extremely curious!!!

Akshi said...

X-( (For Kray). And nothing much to be read in 'your turn will come soon', just that she expects me to maintain the excellent track record, so far, of junta coming here :D.

kray said...

Dont put generaal naatak! And woman!!! U have Mazda Alexia!!!!!!! Please don;t go killing people!!!

kray said...

ps. sorry Axela. Please be safe!! I'm seriously scared for the people of Richmond :))

Akshi said...

Uff what painu people.

Anonymous said...

Muhahaha...but since more pain will be coming your way shortly since you have been tagged, let me clarify that I just meant for her to maintain the track record:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dorothy Parker is so cool.
So is sarcasm, though I guess different people like it at different levels.

And yes Ms Akshi Mahajan, I still love you :D.

And hope you are taking all car fundaes from kray boy :)

To bed now.

Akshi said...

Leave ur name re. I can guess its Supriya, but generally.

Anonymous said...

Parker rocks!

~and by the way, nameless anagrams to maneless, lameness, maleness and salesmen. So I'm sure you can figure out who I am as well;)