Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Gothic Romances. (With a side-dish of shoes and garnished with dolphins)

I'm reading one currently - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Infact the introduction to this book is where I came across the term Gothic Romance and now I find the concept quite amusing. It seems to be quite an easy recipe -
Put one very prone to fainting and hysterics (Hehe I remember in the book 'Secret Garden' when Mary hears the term hysterics she finds it very interesting and decides to have some herself when the opportunity arose) woman in a large gloomy castle in an extremely cold and windy place. Introduce an equally gloomy, 'not so conventionally handsome but having a square jaw and a harsh set of features that set him apart in the crowd' hero in the castle. Make everybody slightly psychotic and generally talk as if the world is coming to an end, and when not talking mope around all over the place. Add super-natural elements to taste and you should have a gothic romance on your hands. Oh the hysterical woman will first have to be scared of the hero and then fall in love with him when she discovers how wonderful he actually is.

I'm in love with my new shoes currently. I bought them this weekend and now I think they are the most wonderful thing in the world. I keep stealing a glance at them from time to time. Maybe I should describe them a little to help you understand them better. Well, they are blue and white (I bought blue socks as well to go with them), with white laces and big blue plastic nike arrows on the side. Actually I don't like the plastic arrows so much and they are kind of redundant as well since there already is a much more tasteful, smaller blue arrow at the back. But then I guess that one isn't so visible and that defeats its purpose. Ok so the visible part of the sole is white and there are some white wave like leather patterns on the sides. A grey leather pattern forms an outline of the white leather pattern. Oh there's another nike arrow on the leather pattern just above the laces. And now I don't like that leather pattern so much! Hmph. There's nothing like analyzing to dampen new-found love I guess. Anyways the shoes are still the most comfortable footwear I have currently so their rating shouldn't go down much more for sometime.

Kray wrote about dolphins in his blog. Kray you should make friends with a dolphin. Then you can ride it around whenever u feel like getting off the ship for a while or you could just talk to it while standing on the deck of your ship. Oh and do write about penguins if you see any!

5 comments:

kray said...

Hell yeah!! Ride dolphins! I'll drown before I got 10 metres. Failed to mention that they kept diving underwater n swimming under the ship from one side to the other had I? As for penguins, there are none for a very very long way all around, especially since there's no snow/ice in these parts, at least not till late September, by when thankfully I'll be off! Oh and madam, its NOT an arrow!!! Nike has a tick-mark as its logo :D

Akshi said...

Hehe I think out of the 8 people who know of its existence you are the only one that reads my blog once in a while :D.
Arey those are all trivial problems :P, if u were friends with a dolphin I'm sure it would consent to staying above water for more than 10 meters to let you enjoy your ride. Sad abt penguins :(
As for tick mark, I know that but its pain to keep writing nike tick mark this and nike tick mark that :D. Besides its flattened enough and kind of resembles an arrow with half its top missing.

kray said...

:)) reasonable enuf I guess. Out of the 8 blogs I regularly check yours is the only one being updated these days :D

kray said...

Or had I spoken too early? Update blog woman!!! And hey Manoj, I can see your comment :P.

Akshi said...

Manoj, you commented on the prev post so ur comment shows up there. I just replied to it also.

My comp access is much more limited on weekends so not so regular. I just read ur posts though kray. Will update soon also :P.