Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Red no more

I shift again tomorrow, the third time and to the fourth place in all, in less than two months in Bangalore. The fact that I've had only a couple of bags to cart around has been a blessing in all this shifting, although I've accumulated more and more stuff gradually and so I'm glad that there'll be no more moving-in/moving-out during what's left of my stay here. Why all this shifting has been happening is quite a story in itself, I'm not sure however if it would make for a thrilling narration, so I'll let it pass.
Bags remind me of why I have two white dresses for convocation now. The original white kurta ended up sporting big green splotches of color after my bag got completely soaked during Delhi-Bangalore flight and had to be substituted by the second white kurta. I couldn't help wondering whether Deccan airways straps passengers' luggage on top of the plane for it to have got so miserably wet.

I think I should invite congratulations for having successfully stuck to my resolve of not buying anything in red.. so far. This resolve stemmed from the realization a few months back that practically everything I had bought lately was some shade of red, and since then I've been consciously avoiding shopping in red. This weekend I walked into a store because their entire display consisted of red and white combinations and walked out with pink and purple shirts. Beat that for self-control!

As I was saying (to different people at different times), I have been reading a lot of Wodehouse lately. You can pick up two Wodehouses for 90 bucks from the road-side book-sellers, they might even reduce the price further I guess if someone bargained well, and I've collected six so far. For some reason I can never remember which Wodehouse I've read and which I haven't, especially the short stories collections. It might be because the names are usually along the lines of Carry on, Jeeves, Thank you, Jeeves, Very Good, Jeeves, which don't really give much clue towards the insides of the book. So I found it useful that someone who holds this opinion has taken the trouble to compile a list to enable others to refresh their Wodehouse memory.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Finally you are buying something other than red :D.

Wodehouse I haven't read in ages.. I hope our library has some.. though I should first read up the huge pile lying at home.

Supriya.

Akshi said...

I almost missed ur comment in all this spam! Bought two more Wodehouses yesterday - Jeeves and the feudal spirit and Right Ho, Jeeves.

Anonymous said...

Do read the Blandings lot if you haven't - start with "Something Fresh" and "Summer Lightning" (or if you can, pick up the three-in-one omnibus "Life at Blandings"). Absolutely hilarious!

I presume Madame Histrionix will already have extolled the virtues of Psmith....so I will refrain :)

Just discovered that the small and otherwise uninteresting library here has a PGW ("Plum Pie", nice collection of misc short stories) so am happily devouring it....:) ah, the simple pleasures of life....

Akshi said...

Have read some blandings books not in any order though. The first one I read was Pigs have wings. Amongst the ones I picked up recently Full Moon which was quite hillarious, and A Pelican at Blandings which was strictly OK, and Galahad at Blandings which was also OK types. Have read this school stories book - The Golden Bat, thats Psmith kya? I think that book belonged to you only.

kray said...

:)) Pink and purple :D yes yes, you are the epitome of self-control! Waise why so much shifting around???

I hope my white kurta still exists...

Akshi said...

Long story re and trust me you don't want to hear.
And don't laugh, you have no idea how much trouble it is to keep rejecting all clothes which you like just because they are red!

Anonymous said...

No no, school stories are another lot altogether, they're his early books (and the ones that got me hooked onto Wodehouse in the first place!) If you can, do read "The Head of Kays", "The White Feather" and "A Prefect's Uncle"....waisa they're all good :D

Akshi said...

Oh ok. Hm then I guess I'm yet to read any Psmith stories, should do that sometime.
And someone suggest a movie for me to watch this weekend :P