Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Headlines

Read in the newspaper today - Vrindavan Gardens have been closed to visitors on account of flooding in the sorrounding areas and the Krishnaraj Sagar Dam being full to the brim. If you've been to Mysore you've probably been to the Vrindavan gardens and know that you have to cross this pathway over the dam to get to the gardens. I was thinking that if the dam gates are open the view from there should be amazing. This reminds of when I used to go to Kota Dam to see the water when they would open the gates during monsoons. Back home floods were comparatively harmless things. The maximum damage they would do was to leave a carpet of silt behind in all the rooms when the water receded. Besides all of us kids got the day off from school and spent it playing in knee deep water, a harmless and fun holiday. However yeah, it was a fairly nbd situation while the water was rising and if your house was built low at the street level, there could be more damage to stuff.

Coming back to newspaper, another headline which caught my attention today was novels through text messages. Methinks reading novels through SMS would be quite painful especially since I don't quite enjoy reading books on comp also. I'm also sure that if I had read the whole article I would have discovered that the idea is Japanese in origin.

The sports page today was full of stuff about today's India Srilanka match. One of the articles started with - 'India take the field today under Saurav Ganguly's shadow' which should make it easy to guess that it was TOI which I was reading. Wonder when they'll stop coming up with these clever headlines. One of the things I can't figure out is why I dislike Sanjay Manjrekar so much. Whenever he comes up for commentary I feel like turning the TV mute. A friend who was a huge fan of Jadeja, had once run into Manjrekar instead in London and played a game of tennis with him. True, this in no way helps to explain why I don't like him but then this blog is supposed to go nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay I am first to comment :)
Books through sms! That would be something.
I remember coming across these HIGHLY condensed versions of 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Ramayana' in Planet M. More like just a confrontation between the white lord and the black lord.

Supriya.

Akshi said...

Oh finally! After my paining you some n times to comment on blog :D.
And I just read that article and discovered that the novel would be in SMS lingo also! They just can't make reading a book more painful!