Friday, August 05, 2005

TTM Revisited

So I finally finished reading The Three Musketeers yesterday. Interesting book, although I started loosing patience a little towards the end and skipped a few pages, actually I skipped the entire made up story the evil woman tells the Felton fellow to convince him of her innocence. I had read a highly abridged version of this book long long time back, and the only bit I remembered from that was when they overhear the cardinal's conversation with Milady through the chimney pipe, so I was very happy when I came to that.

One thing I was wondering about, since my history is not all that upto the mark - Is the queen Anne in the book the Anne of the 'Let them eat cakes if they don't have bread' fame who was the cause of French revolution? Don't know why I started wondering about this in the first place. I think its because I was watching something on the History Channel about the French Revolution where they were talking about the frivolous queen, Anne of Austria, whom everybody in France hated, and the queen Anne in TTM is also Austrian.

Just found this somewhere online -But when it came to Anne of Austria—“our Spanish queen”—his (some Historian's) vituperation knew no bounds. He depicted her as weak, narrow-minded, ignorant, fat, lazy, and vain; accused her of adultery; and claimed that Cardinal Mazarin, “that Italian clown,” was the true father of her second son.
Well the Anne in the book is supposed to be extremely beautiful and the Cardinal hates her guts. However she is the wife of Louis XIII. Now I wonder if the Duke of Buckingham was real. Nevermind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Point one: you're mixing Anne of Austria with Marie Antoinette (who never really did say "let them eat cake"). Point two: the Cardinal in TTM is Richelieu, not Mazarin. Point three: take a look at portraits of Louis XIII and Phillipe d'Orleans (Anne's second son)and try to say they weren't father and son (I know you weren't saying that, I'm just throwing it in). Point four: as you've started to see, TTM is a really stupid book. It caricatures everyone. Richelieu and Louis XIII were nothing like that. History is better than gutter-journalist fiction anytime!

Akshi said...

Nice! It would've been great if you'd left a name but I'm glad you took the time to point out all this stuff. My blog as it very obviously states is completely random and pointless and definitely not well researched. Am impressed by your historical knowledge though!